Code That I Want (for the mud's benefit, of course...)

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Faustus

Code That I Want (for the mud's benefit, of course...)

Post by Faustus »

Well, I'm getting close to finishing a new area. Before I'm done with it, though, I need some new code additions to help me fully realize my vision. I'm posting 'em here to see what everyone thinks, and to hopefully get approval to have 'em added into the codebase.

First, and most importantly, I'd like to have new object flags added that restrict which races can use certain pieces of equipment. You could have human-only items, or items only useable by dwarves and avians, or any single race or combination of races. While this might seem like just an extra restriction added into the codebase, it would actually add a whole lot of variety and replay value to the mud. Right now, there's a pretty clearly deffined set of "best" equipment for every level range. As such, everyone uses mostly the same items. Once we get a few areas with some race specific equipment (and I and other builders are willing to go back and add a few into some of our existing areas right away to get the ball rolling on this), there will be a much bigger variety of "best" equipment for the different levels ranges. It won't solve the problem of people always going for whatever gives them the best stats, but it will get people to diversify a whole lot as they hunt for equipment. (And Slart assures me this should be easy to implement... it's just a matter of getting approval for now.)

Next in the list is a spec_kung_fu for mobs. It's not fair that players get to use things like "thousand palms," "chin kang palm," "kick," and other human attack skills in combat. Spec_kung_fu would let these mobs use certain human skills in combat, just to spice things up a little.

Third (and least important), I'd like a magic_resistance affect bit that would give mobs that have this bit set a certain chance (say 75-80 percent or so) to shrug off the effects of spells cast on them. It woould spice up combat with these mobs an awful lot. We could even make it available as a spell to players (perhaps requiring some exotic component that must be bought in a far off city like the black powder for tainting weapons) or set it up so that it's only available through pills and potions.

So, I'd like any feedback that people have in reaction to these. Voice your support if you like 'em. And remember, the sooner I get what I want, the sooner you all get this new area (*evil laugh*). (okay, perhaps that last bit came across a little to ominously...)
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

I like all of them *poke Slart* please?
Sozz

Post by Sozz »

I love Love LOVE! the idea of race-specific equipment. I think it's the best idea I've heard in..well...a few minutes at least, since I *am* reading the forums :wink: I would love to see this implemented!

As for the other two, they'd be interesting, especially the kung fu for mobs, but I'm not sure how they'd really benefit the game as a whole.
Sozz
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

I like the race specific eq. I would definatly use it in the area that I am rewriting.
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

Keep in mind that race-specific equipment should be used rather sparringly. I'm only planning on making a handful of items in this area race-specific. Anyone else who wants to use these object flags (assuming they get approved) is welcome to do so, but don't plan on going overboard. Still, I'm glad to hear that other people want to use the idea, too.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Faustus wrote:Keep in mind that race-specific equipment should be used rather sparringly. I'm only planning on making a handful of items in this area race-specific. Anyone else who wants to use these object flags (assuming they get approved) is welcome to do so, but don't plan on going overboard. Still, I'm glad to hear that other people want to use the idea, too.
I disagree, i think most equipment should be race-specific - often to more than one race, though.

I think the spiked-warhammer of impending doom should not be used by a kender, but could be used by a dwarf or an avian.

Unfortunately implementation now means that unless the race-specific item has better stats than the non-race specific item, it wont get used. This only leads to more inflation item power. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

I guess my whole "sparringly" comment was meant for single race items. I do agree with Dive that it would nice to see a lot more items that are allowed for two or three races, but not others.
Cord

Post by Cord »

I'm a big fan of all three ideas.

I think the magical_resistance idea would have more of an impact if it also had the same % chance of causing damage spells to fail. (Or, perhaps more interestingly, resulting in a randomly-selected % amount the damage of an attack spell is reduced by. The thinking here being that a master wizard would probably have some pretty good defences to magical attacks, certainly more than your common ogre...)

As to DB's power inflation comment: yeah, that'd be a concern. But well... as it has been said that there are presently certain "best" eq items... if race-specific eq were to go in, flagging those most commonly used items with race flags seems like it would be a pretty effective way to jump-start this idea without having to come up with more-powerful race-specific eq...
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i really like all the ideas, but i think that the 80% is a bit high if you ask me. sanctuary affects physical damage by 50%, and is incredibly powerful. casters already have enough limitations, such as having to choose between flaming items and hit dam. i like the idea, but i think it should be closer to the 50% mark than 80%. also, if it is going to affect the damage done by spells, i don't think it should stack with sanctuary in the same way that protection does. i think it should be one or the other against damaging spells (ideally, i think that it should affect spells only, and that sanctuary would affect physical damage only)
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Technically, we have magic resistance, right now - !magic rooms. If we implemented a magic_resistance bit, I'd want it implemented like a parry: whenever a spell gets cast against that mob, they have a flat chance to take zero effect from it at all, whether damage, a neg affect, anything. Then (presuming the "parry" failed), the mud would return it to normal save vs. spell, etc., determine effect in the existing way.

I'm most excited about the prospect of anti-race bits on eq.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I love the racial equipment bit, and agree with DB in that almost all equipment should be racial somehow. I'm sorry, a suit of plate fits a dwarf OR a human, not both.

I'd like spec_kung_fu, and spec_illithid as well. Heck, a spec_avian would be nice (and really mean, actually...). Mobs should be just as powerful as PCs, in a "realistic" world, shouldn't they?

From what I gathered from Faustus' post, the resistance was going to work more like a parry than a sanc, with good reason. If you stack sanc and spellsanc, and illithid or druid is utterly impotent, and way too powerful if you remove sanc's protection against spells (at least on the older mobs). A spell parrying mob would be highly annoying, but possible...though a spell parrying and sanced mob would be...just INSANE for an elf or druid to fight. If area builders are careful to stick to one or the other, it should be fine. Heck, that might even encourage people to have to choose where to hunt as opposed to the one tried and true area path.
--Lairian
Leiland

Post by Leiland »

I just want to say, why stop at race specific eq? I want gender specific eq! I mean, what self-respecting male dwarf would walk around in a frilly pink dress? And how is -any- man supposed to fit in dress designed for a skinny, cuvey woman?

Ok, so really I just want to be able to put Kira's wings in my Dark Crystal area and make them only wearable by girls... but hey, this would give us a reason to have change sex, aside from the amusement factor.

As for the kung fu mobs, it's about time. I mean, we've got mobs casting just about every spell in the game, why should skills be any different? I'm also hoping we'll eventually get an illithid cast set, but I don't see that happening any time soon... mental barrier on a mob would just own, though.
Just ignore me...
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

That said, why not make a size specific eq connected to the age code. Who in their right mind would use dwarven armor for their druids?! Or a kender pants for their avian? I mean, do avians even have legs? Or just a stick from body to claws? :P
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Leiland wrote:I mean, what self-respecting male dwarf would walk around in a frilly pink dress? And how is -any- man supposed to fit in dress designed for a skinny, cuvey woman?
Apparently, many men irl do not respect their selves...*shudder*

This may be too much info for you guys, but I once put on my girlfriend's underwear to surprise my girlfriend as a joke. She left me shortly after that. Hmm... Anyway, my point is that my gf was rather petite and I was a large man (6 feet tall and 175 lbs at the time), but I could still wear the tiny clothes, even though they were stretched to dimentions never intended.

This may surprise some of you guys, but I'm against gender-specific eq. I in no way advocate cross-dressing.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

If a piece of armor or a weapon is egotistical enough (to use an old D&D term) to refuse to associate with you based on your philosophical outlook on life (and whether baby kittens are fun to strangle), then they should be able to choose, in some situations, whether they like you or not based on other qualifications, nyet?
--Lairian