Not "classes" exactly.

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Because the teleport is to deter you from getting the item easily. In Diablo it's done to protect Diablo not to be a pain in your ass.

The Efreeti Council is the same as above.

In Clanghammer it's done because the items are powerful and I wanted you to have to have a lot of patience in order to get them all. Some of the teleports are not very long either.

The Revenant Consecration ones are special versions that only allow demons in for obvious reasons.

If I had !pass door flags. Would I use them in Diablo? Perhaps. But if your stupid key doesn't melt for 100 ticks, you can do an awful lot with it. I would want a mechanism for the key to disappear on use as well. (The ability to set the timer would be an equally acceptable option).
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Yeah, but like i said before, that's why i understand the reason for having the speco_teleport. I know its not just there to be a pain in the ass, its there so we don't have such an easy time killing diablo and getting the stuff, cause what fun would it be if it were easy?

this just might provide an alternative for new areas, that's all
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
xorex

Post by xorex »

no pass door and speco teleport are not the same thing...speco teleport can be found by anyone happening to stay in a room too long while no pass door requires a player to actually find the key by exploring the area.
--Xorex
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Teleport has customizable messages to. This means you can create the illusion of storyline occurring (see Clanghammer) on a limited level. Since we don't have any interaction with mobs in BR, this is a small step towards that.
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

good point db-setting the amount of time that a timed item exists would be a VERy nice addition, and probably not all that hard to code i would imagine. similar to the duration of timed lights being set, except that the timer would continue to count down while they are in inventory (which, i believe, is not the case with timed lights)
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Except I think the timer value gets set by the code, it's not stored in the area-style structure of the object. "Timed" is a flag that can be added, but the actual TIME is never set. The ideal place to put it is one of the 4 values (val0, val1, val2, val3). Except some objects use all 4 of those (like a scroll with 3 spells). All objects can be timed, so there's no standard location for how long to set it for. :(

It's basically a fundamental flaw with how the area files work. Changing that is a pretty big task and difficult because you have to be sure not to invalidate all the areas that currently exist.

To say that it's not all that hard to code is, unfortunately, an understatement.
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*still slowly picking up bits and pieces of info on the current code configuration*
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I sincerely think there should be some change in the way our races choose their skills. Giving "class"-like preferences would be a draw to newbies. Also, along with magic/fighter/druid/thief type preferences for each race, alignment prefereces would also be attractive to new eyes.

If what has been suggested so far by those interested is not acceptable, then let us please look to new ideas or perhaps some compromise of what is good from every idea. I agree with some people in that we need something new to jumpstart some excitement around here.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I would love to see some new skills of the races (if we are going to turn our backs on making new races). Making them more of what they are (thieves, warriors, martial artists, mages, clerics, etc..) is something I would love to see.

I know that Stars doesn't agree with Kenders being our resident 'thief' but we need something like it so maybe we can give kenders some more effective thieving skills?

I already love the new Human and Dwarf under development. mmmm...

I don't know who mentioned it but the fact that our realms is surrounded by 'evil' aligned characters, we can probably balance it. We have demons and illithids who are better being evil-aligned, but I don't know/see of any races that can be good, while having good-align.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Anakin wrote:I know that Stars doesn't agree with Kenders being our resident 'thief' but we need something like it so maybe we can give kenders some more effective thieving skills?
Actually, I don't like our use of the kender name. Kender are most definately thieves (borrowers, as they would say). I believe they should be much more thief-like. As they are now, they are too fighter-like and too powerful for my taste.

Adding a few more races would be really great too. I'll suggest a few...

ogres no magic, all physical attacks (str prime)
angels we've talked about this already (prime dependent upon how they work)
fairies pure magic, no physical attacks (prime int)
quicklings extremely fast, and get a huge number of attacks, but are so small that they have eq restrictions (prime dex)
dragons start in humanoid form and slowly transforms into slim dragons as they level--loss of eq slots, but increase in power, a bit like avians, but more extreme, eventually losing all eq slosts but are amazingly powerful with body parts (prime con)
toadstools/mole-people small, weak mushroom-like or mole-like people that can use little eq because of their small bodies, start at 3 with all stats, has a very small list of weak skills to choose from, but get the strongest skills of any race at avatar. This race is meant to be very challenging. I suggested this here. (prime wis)
cat-folk a race of sleek cat-like people that are very fast and powerful fighters. They have little in the way of magic, and what they do have is used for physical enhancement. (prime dex)

These are just a few suggestions. What do you think, and can you think of any more? I expect Slart to have these races added to the mud by tomorrow morning. Hop to it, Slart! I would help, but I stubbed my toe earlier today and I can't get up off the couch... :P
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

hum, would that make dragons be a sort of minidemon? if so, i don't like it.

nice list, but lotsa work if you ask me. maybe we shouldn't pressure slart with this so much? or at least with one theme at a time? :) demon coding took very long, i imagine it would be pretty much the same for any other new big race project. poor slart!
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

*hugs Stars*

I love ya :D I love all those races, it makes me all excited inside. I can't stop grinning on each race. I would really love to see a new race and one of those sounds great.

Kudos to you, Stars. :)

I want to add Undeads. They basically have an auto-leech attack, maybe per attack. Agile and cunning. If it can be done it would also be nice if they are even more powerful during night times. Can levitate of course, what's a vampire without its levitation. :twisted:
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

If I had to choose just one from the list, I would love to see the mushroom type race. That one sounds the most unique to me of anything I've ever seen suggested. Of course I like alot of the others to, but if we were going to have a new one, I'm all for something very differant such as those.....shroomy guys. :P
*bounces around* Dev
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

just for the record, i absolutely hate the idea of classes. if you find that newbies want classes, you're talking to a different set of newbies than i am. maybe it's your way of explaining it??

newbie asks: "so, what about classes?"

disaster answers: "We actually don't have classes here, only races. our skills are chosen on a per-skill basis, allowing for more customization of your character than just a set group of skills based on class. there are some "in guild" skills/spells that certain races are encouraged to learn, since they do so without an exp penalty, and then there is a large list of out of guild skills/spells which you can pick and choose from if you wish, depending on the style of play you want to adopt."

newbie responds: "oh, cool!"

i do like the idea of more and different skills (preferably out of guild ones, since all the races are already sufficiently powerful with their in guilds), but i do NOT like the idea of classes, unless it's going to be significantly different from traditional class systems.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Don't worry Dis, nobody's going to add classes. I could have sworn it's a censored word in the game. :?
-Jerry Seinfeld