Locate Object

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Luc

Locate Object

Post by Luc »

Why is it that Locate object stops short of all the items? I would like to see all items that are visible to you with the keyword you use, to show up on a locate object. example of it not doing this is, c locate sword. i located sword and got 12 swords shown, and thats it. I know there is more than that, but why dont they show up?
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

They don't show up to prevent spam-rolling off your screen, which is why there is page pause. However, the original coders didn't let locate object use the page-pause system, and we've never bothered to change it because if there are 10000 swords, chances are you dont' REALLY want to see all of them - you should probably search for 'curved' instead of sword.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

You'll also actually notice that locating the same keyword several times in a row will give you fairly drastically different amounts of results back... stone is a really good example of this (since there's usually several hundred floating stones sitting around in pirate seas). And, of course you'd rather locate curved, but when in old areas, a lot of times "a curved, flamboyant sword" will only have the keyword "sword." Blame us builders for your problems there.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

The whole system probably needs to be revamped. I'm just saying it probably isn't a high priority right now.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I don't understand. I type "c locate sword" and I get amazing amounts of stuff that span the entire history of my mud client. perhaps it doesn't show me everything, but only because I can't scroll back far enough to see. Maybe this is so because i am not using any kind of page pause. I prefer scrolling back if I miss something.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Exo

Post by Exo »

if i locate sword, ring, key or shield, i get spammed off of zmud, not off of BR, but off of zmud, my screen locks and crashes the program, i think i can get about... 15 pages of sword spam, but im not sure, i dont like screwing up the computer. anyways, the only time i ever had that problem is when i tried to locate bracer, it showed me about 20-30, and i KNOW there are alot more then that, but in a way, i wish locate object could be like scry, it only works for the area the item is in. is that even possible kiri? and it it is, is it plausable, or just the hopeless ranting of an idiot?
I am happy to let girls indulge themselves using my body.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I think there are others ways to revamp it. but it is currently not high priority...
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i've had similar experiences with missing information, and not only with locate (though that's by far the most common cause). i'm not certain if the problem is mud-generated or client-generated, but i expect that it's client. one of my attack aliases has (if i remember correctly) 60+ attacks in it, each of which causes about 10 lines of spam from demon limbs and autoattacks. sometimes i see what looks like the full spam caused, but sometimes i only see a few lines worth. as far as i can tell the mud is still performing the entire attack, and (i think) sending me the information on the attack, but i think my client can't handle that much information that quickly. i expect it's the same issue with locate. usually locating something 4-5 times, even sword, gives me what looks like a full list at least one of the times.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".